Thursday, January 9, 2014

Flan/Caramel Pudding/Creme Caramel



I always love this dessert and been wanting to make it but when I heard I got to get lots of eggs to make it well naah.. 

I subscribe lots of cooking channel on youtube nowadays. Plenty of good videos and  I like Eugine Kitchen. Simple easy recipe sort of. Nice and neat videos too. I got the creme caramel recipe there and she used only 3 eggs. That's good. I wanna try it.
I got all the ingredients. 
I used sweet condensed milk and whole milk and lil soy milk. Just to have enough 500ml of milk. *I hope I did the right thing*
I got 3 Jumbo eggs and some sugar *I shouldn't have added it, sweet condensed milk is already enough*

Now the tricky part of making caramel. I thought it was that easy as I watched on video but it was quite frustrating. All youtube videos mostly have the same instruction of making caramel with lil water as soon as you got in the pot.

NOPE! IT didnt work like that. My sugar became crystallized. 3 times I tried and felt stupid. Until I watched another video explaining that crystallized could happen. Well,well,well, I'm not alone! 
I remember I made caramel cake before *Indonesian style* and succedded but I thought this one was different so I forgot about it.*

How come I couldn't make caramel like others in youtube?? 
I was almost giving up till I suddenly
got buzz on bbm, my sis. Talking about something else and then I asked what happened with my caramel. 

Then She told me how she made it 
"Prepare the pot and the sugar till it's brown melted and then lil water."
Voila, that's it! I finally made it.  
N yes that's how caramel cake Indonesian style also made. ^^ Soooooooo relieved.

Making custard is just mixed the ingredients together but the milk. I boiled the milk first and let it cool and then mixed with eggs mixture.

Now I have the caramel and custard ready in ceramic bowls. Gotta put them in a square pan as tray. And Poured the hot water just up to half size of ceramic.

Baking time! 
Bake in 350 F and about 30min or 40 min depends on how big your ceramic is.

After its done. *shake the pan and check if no movement so it's mean done*
I was quite pessimist when I looked at the surface of the custard coz the color is like caramel. I think its because I boiled the milk using the pot that's been used for caramel making. ^^ okay lesson learned!

Cooling the ceramic bowls in a cookie rack and then putting it in the fridge at least 4hours. *over nite is okay too*

I can't wait that long since I was curious so bad. 
Here it is! Yes I made it!

This recipe for 5 bowls. 2 Ceramic bowls medium and 3 small Le Creuset bowls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment